Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sunday nite in the old capital(of 7 previous dynasties) and the big news for many expats is the blocking of the New York Times for the past two days. Altho as James Fallows (the atlantic) says it's not as big a deal as it used to be.
I've been meeting new people via Twitter-where I learned today about the plane fire in Denver before MSNBC had it on their breaking news. Twitter/micro-blogging-speak concisely and to the point. Not necessarily the Chinese way.
Even after 2 yrs here, I still am constantly learning about China. What it means to be a "waiguoren"-foreigner.
I'm the foreign teacher teaching the foreign language in the College of Foreign Studies.
Yesterday a student text messages to me-asking where will I be for Christmas and what is my e-mail and she might need help for applying to the US for school. No name.
Then I text: who are you? A student.
Today I receive an e-mail from her-you should go home for Christmas-your family will miss you. But, I don't have an extra $2000. I don't want to be packed on a plane with 350 other people anyway.
So maybe during spring term, e-mail etiquette needs to be a topic. Also, privacy-mine anyways-not everyone gets my e-mail.
Stay tuned for more ramblings.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

The more important question is why does the NY Times get blocked here but the Washington Post has never been blocked since I've been here? I don't even think the CCP understands how internet censorship works.

Good luck dealing with students applying to study abroad. There's a reason why I don't give my students my phone number.

Paul Stanner said...

Dear Betsy :

I don't know whether to say God Bless you or God help you or both. I taught a movie class for one semester. I thought it would be great fun for me and them and a great learning tool for them. I couldn't have been more wrong. They do not view movies , music or anything internet related as learning tools. Movies and music are just for fun NOT for learning. The internet is a " social evil " and therefore NOT to be used as an educational tool.

I wish I had known all of this before I spent 10,000 RMB buying all the equipment and educational DVD's that I thought would be a great learning tool and experience for my Chinese students. It was a gigantic waste of money.

I do wish you the best of luck with your on going battle though. Should you find a way to capture their interest please let me know.

I'll be looking forward to speaking with you more soon.

Spacedteacher